Herrin Hospital is a 104-bed acute care facility that has served patients since 1913.
In 2007, the hospital expanded with a $19 million addition that moved all outpatient services, including rehabilitation, imaging and wound care, to the main floor for better accessibility. The renovation included a 10’x20’ indoor pool for aquatic therapy and upgraded patient accommodations to include private rooms and flat screen televisions.
The addition coincided with the installation of the Julia Harrison Bruce and Fred G. Harrison Memorial Garden. The half-million dollar healing garden is open to the public for relaxation and is also utilized by the therapy patients for practice walking on the various surfaces.
Hospital imaging utilizes digital technology, including two CT scanners – one dedicated entirely to the emergency department. PET, MRI and ultrasound are also available.
Nationally acclaimed acute rehabilitation is provided through an alliance with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. The unit treats hundreds of neurological and orthopedic patients each year, with outcomes that exceed national averages.
To meet patient demand, a 13,000-square-foot expansion of the Emergency Department, with a dedicated Chest Pain Unit, is scheduled to be complete in 2010.
Herrin Hospital has the first Accredited Chest Pain Center in Southern Illinois and also participates in the STAT Heart program with Memorial Hospital of Carbondale and Prairie Cardiovascular. The goal of STAT Heart is for patients presenting with heart attack symptoms to be stabilized, transferred to a cath lab in Carbondale and treated in under 90 minutes. The process is happening in half the time it takes most U.S. hospitals.